Sekhukhune District Profile
- Location : Sekhukhune Municipal district in south-eastern part of Limpopo and is part of the Limpopo Province
- Municipalities : The Sekhukhune district is made up of four local municipalities : Elias Motsoaledi LM, Ephraim Mogale LM, Makhuduthamaga LM and Fetakgomo Tubatse LM.The District is made up of 117 wards with a total of 764 villages.
- Traditional Leadership: There are 74 traditional leaderships within the district.
- Population : The District has a total population of 1,19 million, or 20% of the total population in the Limpopo Province.
Mining in Sekhukhune
The disruption of our community by mining is the cause of the many social and community problems we experience . This includes the problem of waste and the failures of the municipality . The poor planning or lack of planning when mines took over our communities resulted in the chaos we are experiencing today
- Mining is the life blood of the Sekhukhune municipality. 34.5% of all goods and services is related to mining . Over half of the labour force in the municipality is linked to mining.Mining – who benefits
- There are 27 operational mines with 47 licences issued.
- According government estimated mining s forecasted to grow fastest at an average of 5.64% annually from R 12.4 billion to R 16.3 billion in 2023.
- Only a few people have benefitted from Mining jobs and contracts , A large number of people are unemployed and poor . There is extreme inequality in Sekhukhune
- According to governments reports the The Gini coefficient is 0,58 which is amongst the lowest in the province.
- Sekhukhune has a very high number of unemployed people . 28.17% of the total number of unemployed people in Limpopo Province live in Sekhukhune,
- Only about 4 % of the population have higher education. Mines look outside the community for skilled workers.
This information is from
Official Web Page of the Sekhukhune District Municipality: http://www.sekhukhunedistrict.gov.za/
Sekhukhune District Profile :